Are you looking for the best Olive Oil Cake ever? This Olive Oil Cake with Brown Butter Frosting is seriously the perfect balance between sweetness and acidity. If you’re looking for a lighter topping, check out this Olive Oil Cake recipe instead!
Prep Time: about 20 – 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 – 50 minutes
Servings: between 1 – 12, depends what kind of mood you’re in and if you have to share.
The Best Olive Oil Cake
Olive Oil Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/3 cups olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- zest of two lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- blueberries, for garnish
Olive Oil Cake Directions
- Put an oven rack in the middle position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease & flour a 9-inch pan very well (I use this Avocado cooking spray — it’s a great neutral oil & avocado oil is the ONLY ingredient. Try looking at the back of other cooking sprays; your mind will be blown with all the additives). Note: You can also use a springform pan to make removal of the cake easier! Set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl –– 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt & 1 3/4 cups sugar. Set aside.
- In separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients –– 1 1/3 cups olive oil, 1 cup milk, zest of two lemons, 1/4 cup lemon juice & 3 eggs. Set aside.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the well. Whisk together. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and whisk together until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle (or use a sifter to more evenly disperse) 2 TBSP sugar over surface. Bake until golden brown and toothpick (or skewer; I prefer this since it’s longer) inserted in center comes out with only a few crumbs, about 45 to 50 minutes. The top of the cake should look cracked when done, which is the desired aesthetic.
- While cake bakes, make the frosting (recipe below).
The Browned Butter Frosting
Browned Butter Frosting Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 TBSP Half & Half
Browned Butter Frosting Directions
- Put 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar into a medium bowl.
- Put 6 TBSP butter into a small pot on medium heat –– melt, then simmer until browned. You can pick up the pot by the handle & swirl the butter to check how it is coming along. This takes about 5ish minutes. You will know when it’s browning by the delicious nutty fragrance.
- Pour browned butter in with the powdered sugar. Mix.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp vanilla & 3 TBSP Half & Half. Mix. Add more if you would like a thinner consistency.
- Let cake cool until cool to the touch. You can use a butter knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan.
- Place a plate on top of the cake to flip it out of the pan. Grab another plate to flip back over.
- Optional: Break pieces of cracked cake off the top (you can use a spatula to assist) if you’d like to use it to decorate.
- Frost. Decorate with sugary pieces & blueberries or any other decoration you would like.
Looking for more olive oil cake inspiration?
Easy Olive Oil Cake with Browned Butter Icing
When the Almond Board of California challenged me to integrate Almond Milk into something that doesn’t immediately come to mind (ie. cereal or…
The Best Olive Oil Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
Are you looking for the best Olive Oil Cake ever? This Olive Oil Cake with Brown Butter Frosting is seriously the perfect balance…
Easy Lemon Olive Oil Cake with crunchy 🍋-y glaze
You probably already know my deep love for Olive Oil cakes! While they almost always have citrus in them, I decided to kick…
Make your cake and eat it too,
This is my favorite olive oil cake. I’ve made it 3 times in the last few months and always comes out amazing!
OMG this makes me so dang happy! I am ecstatic that you’ve made it multiple times & have enjoyed it each time 🙂
[…] Looking for a more rich Olive Oil Cake recipe? Try my Olive Oil Cake with Browned Butter Frosting! […]