I have officially mastered packing my toiletries for every kind of trip — whether or not I’m checking a bag. NO all of these items would never fit into that ridiculously tiny ziplock bag that London Heathrow makes you shove all of your liquids into before going through security. If I ever fly through Heathrow, I CHECK A BAG (no ifs ands or buts about it). Now that that’s out of the way I would recommend using this list even if you plan on checking a bag. It’s a rough guideline, but I also included all of my favorite products along with the list.
A couple tips:
- Sign up for TSA precheck for expedited security checks when flying domestically.
- Opt for Global Entry if you plan on flying internationally because it includes TSA precheck, so you don’t have to pay both fees.
- The main credit card that I use will cover the fee for you. I am working on writing a whole blog post about why this credit card is the best if you enjoy food and travel.
Carry-on or Checked bag
Dependent upon the size of the containers you bring along.
- Mesh Toiletry Case — I swear by this case. It is the perfect size to fit all of my necessary toiletries, & it’s SUPER DURABLE.
- Kristin Ess Air Dry Creme + tiny container (I use an empty from another product I finished to put a smaller amount of the product into, since it’s a large bottle) — this product is great for naturally wavy hair.
- Trader Joe’s Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Hair Serum — I use this product in combination with #2. I’ve been solely air drying my hair for the last couple months & love this combo!
- Not Your Mother’s Dry Shampoo — sometimes I go a week without washing my hair. I’ve trained it to not need more than that, but depending on the time of year & how much exercise I’m doing, I may need a little spray of dry shampoo to get through between washes.
- ASAP Wound Dressing Gel — THE holy grail! I love using this for blemishes that I HAD TO mess with. Just dab a little on right after & it’ll basically be gone the next day. This is also a great alternative for healing bug bites. I have the 4 oz size (much more cost effective) & I transfer a bit to a small container (an empty eye cream tub) for travel. A little goes a long way with this stuff.
- Luzern LA Defense Mineral Sunscreen — lightweight, but great coverage when using a small amount & it smells delicious.
- VV Cream Gentle Wash — for all my LADIES! This natural product keeps you fresh down there! It helps prevent ingrown hairs, cleanses, moisturizes & tones — yes your V deserves some TLC too.
- Megababe Thigh Rescue — Great for dress & skirt weather — if you ever have issues with your inner thighs rubbing & chafing this product is a must!
- Trader Joe’s Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Hair Mask — I have been using this in place of my conditioner every so often. I swear it has made a difference on my super dry ends.
- Aquis Rapid Dry Hair Towel — I love how compact this towel is. I throw it on after I wash my hair & it sops up a perfect amount before I apply 2 & 3.
- Cocofloss — They’ve got fun flavors & I’m convinced it’s the best floss out there.
- Flamingo Razor — It comes in cute colors and gives a close shave!
- Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen — I swear by this sunscreen. It’s natural & goes on so smooth.
Face Cleanser & Shampoo — These are obvious items that you should pack but I don’t have ones that I’m 100% happy with at the moment.
Remember: if you aren’t checking a bag, be sure your containers with liquid are no more than 100ml (3.4 oz)
I like to bring my skincare items with me onto the plane in a separate toiletry bag to keep my skin hydrated. I don’t always do this for domestic flights, but DO for international. These can also be packed into the mesh case & placed in your suitcase then carried on or checked instead!
- January Labs Restorative Tonic Mist — I love this toner for refreshing my face throughout the day & also for use in my daily skincare routine.
- Luzern Rehydrate Serum — This is definitely a bit of a splurge, but my most important skincare step! My esthetician turned me onto it & I haven’t looked back. If you ever feel like your skin is still dry and dehydrated, even after applying your moisturizers, THIS IS FOR YOU. The hyaluronic acid in this serum helps your skin actually absorb all of the other products you apply after.
- Hemp Seed Oil + glass bottle — I really like the simplicity of oils as moisturizers & have been using this one for awhile now!
- Beekman 1802 Lip Balm Honey Orange Blossom — This is seriously the best lip balm I’ve ever used.
- Kari Gran Lip Whip Cinnamon — my second fave lip balm.
- type:A Deoderant The Dreamer — If you switch over ONE of your toiletries to a natural one, it should be your deodorant. I am a huge fan of this formulation & they have some wonderful scent options.
- Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes Cucumber — I transfer a couple of these into a small baggie so I can wipe my face at the airport or on the plane. I use this, then a face mask & then do my skincare routine with the other items in this section. Also, I’m not 100% loyal to these wipes, I’ve tested a few different one’s and tend to try what’s on sale at the time I need to restock.
- Bamboo Toothbrush — I can’t find the exact one I purchased before there are a ton of biodegradable options!
Face mask & Toothpaste — I love throwing in a face mask for extra moisture in flight, especially if it’s a longer haul flight.
While I’m at it I figured I would share my makeup picks as well!
- Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Illuminating Primer — I love this primer for a dewy glow to my skin.
- Juice Beauty Stem Cellular CC Cream Desert Glow — I use this in place of a foundation. It has SPF 30, is super moisturizing & the perfect amount of mid-range coverage. Great for a dewy finish.
- ULTA Tear Drop Super Blender Sponges — Love that this is flat instead of the original Beauty Blender.
- Tula Rose Glow Cooling & Brightening Eye Balm — This is great to brighten up your undereye area.
- Kosas Creme Blush and Highlighter 8th Muse — Honestly 90% of the time, I only use the highlighter in this duo, but if you do like blush the color is gorgeous.
- Becca Cosmetics Shimmering Highlighter Lilac Geode — I believe this is a limited edition color, but last I checked it is still available. The packaging is really the thing that made me want it (packaging nerd over here), but this is a great highlight with a TAD bit of lilac/light pink tint.
- Becca Cosmetics Highlighter Moonstone — my go-to everyday color.
- Tarte Bronzer 5th Ave. Princess — I don’t use bronzer often but I have a travel size of this one just in case!
- Morphe Liquid Lip Hotshot, School Girl, Peanut — Hotshot is my go-to red and the other 2 are the perfect neutrals. The matte formula can be a bit drying (like all of the others I’ve tried, please let me know if you’ve found one that isn’t) but I love the staying power.
- Jane Iredale Jessica — on the other hand, if I want a moisturizing neutral lipstick this is my go-to!
I’ll be sending out PDF checklists of the general lists (sans specific products) to my newsletter subscribers next week — subscribe here if you would like to receive it!
Happy packing & traveling,
Corey, Miss Foodie Problems